Unable to log-in

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 22 17:52:42 UTC 2003

Joe,

Thanks very much. Can I reinstall the package while running another
installation (e.g. from floppy or 2nd partition.)?  As it is now I can't
do anything from the original system because I can 't log in as root (or
as anyone else. Maybe this is like the chicken and the egg: could fix the
system if I could log in and could log in if I fix the system?)

I appreciate your help.

Alex

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, JoeHill wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:57:15 -0400
> Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
> > When I try I get the error:
> > "-bash:error while loading shared libraries. libcurses.so.5 cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory."
>
> I've run into similar probs before and the way I always resolved it was
> to reinstall the appropriate package. Now, I'm on Mandrake, but the
> package management differs mainly in the commands so it should be
> something like:
>
> apt-get install [packagename]
>
> I did:
>
> [joehill at node1:~]>$rpm -qa | grep curses
> ncurses-5.3-1.20030215.1mdk
> libncurses5-5.3-1.20030215.1mdk
> libncurses5-devel-5.3-1.20030215.1mdk
>
> I believe that file should be included in one of the above packages,
> probably the second, so try:
>
> apt-get install libncurses
>
> I did a google/linux search, but not much came up:
>
> http://www.google.ca/linux?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=libcurses.so.5&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
>

> --
> JoeHill
> Registered Linux user #282046