Recommended Hardware project propoal [was The most recent meeting]

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 17 19:39:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 14:19, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> The turnover doesn't seem that fast to me - yes there are new products
> coming out all the time, but, personally I don't often want a brand new
> product because it'll be costlier, because not enough time has passed for
> the hardware to establish a record of reliablility and compatibility
> under Linux, and because I don't running an OS that compells me to
> upgrade my hardware.  So, usually I'm most interested in 6-18 month old
> hardware.  Maybe I'm unusual like that.

I've often wondered about that.  Is this consumerist tendency to blame
any failure on old equipment a fad, or is this a fundamental shift in
thinking?  I personally like to see things working for a long period of
time, and working really well, but I've seen many counter-examples.
I've just been shown an HP laptop that's broken for the third time, and
it's less than a year old.  What happens when things are made so
cheaply, that they don't even work on delivery?

Anyhow, enough questioning Ford... back to my regularly scheduled
programming.

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611