Recommended Hardware project propoal [was The most recent meeting]

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-ZTO5kqT2PaM at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 17 18:19:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:57:14 -0400, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org said:
> > I'm interested in developing a short list of recommendable systems/parts
> > for various usage types.
>
> The unfortunate problem with this is that there is _heavy_ churn of
> these products.  The motherboard that you really liked last month is
> liable to get replaced by a newer model in 3 months thereby making the
> information obsolete.

The turnover doesn't seem that fast to me - yes there are new products
coming out all the time, but, personally I don't often want a brand new
product because it'll be costlier, because not enough time has passed for
the hardware to establish a record of reliablility and compatibility
under Linux, and because I don't running an OS that compells me to
upgrade my hardware.  So, usually I'm most interested in 6-18 month old
hardware.  Maybe I'm unusual like that.

> The approach that would be more likely to be worthwhile would be to go
> "global" on building a compatibility database, so that MANY people could
> be involved in figuring out which parts work well, and then have a
> "regional availability" table that allows people in different regions
> create 'views' indicating what hardware is available locally.
> Regrettably, that latter part goes stale quickly.

Good idea - I'm sure that could be done via filtering on an RSS feed.
Sounds like a Python project.

Re staleness: this is where wiki's work well.  They're readily edited and
anyone can contribute so they don't rely on just one person to find time
to keep them updated.