Recommended Hardware project propoal [was The most recent meeting]

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 17 19:55:37 UTC 2003

> The turnover doesn't seem that fast to me - yes there are new products
> coming out all the time, but, personally I don't often want a brand new
> product because it'll be costlier, because not enough time has passed for
> the hardware to establish a record of reliablility and compatibility
> under Linux, and because I don't running an OS that compells me to
> upgrade my hardware.  So, usually I'm most interested in 6-18 month old
> hardware.  Maybe I'm unusual like that.

The thing is, the local stores sell whatever they can get from their
wholesalers this month.

That's not necessarily the same stuff they got last month.  It almost
certainly won't be the same stuff that they got 18 months ago.

The CPUs that are "high end" now will be "low end" in 18 months; the
motherboards that everyone sells now won't be available on College St in
18 months.

That naturally leads to there being a whole lot of "churn" in the
hardware that is available over the counter.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sgml.html