high speed DSL connectivity

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 15 02:52:44 UTC 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 22:23, Henry Spencer wrote:

> > In this neck of the woods, no matter what ISP you use, for DSL service I
> > have a suspicion that you'd end up using pppoe (whether for static or
> > dynamic IP).
>
> No, definitely not true.  I have DSL without PPPoE.
>
> Whether you can avoid PPPoE *cheaply* -- at home rather than business
> prices -- is, however, another question entirely.  (Partly because the
> desire to do so, like the desire for static IP addresses, signals that you
> are a different class of customer, likely to work the network harder.)

Right, but in your case was it a custom order, you dealing directly with the
ISP and requesting a specific type of service?

I had assumed that the more expensive business services (say ones giving you a
small static subnet) were still pppoe underneath just with a smarter "modem"
hiding the details.  Is that wrong?

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux