high speed DSL connectivity

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 15 14:22:00 UTC 2003

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> I had assumed that the more expensive business services (say ones giving
> you a
> small static subnet) were still pppoe underneath just with a smarter "modem"
> hiding the details.  Is that wrong?

There are two higher-speed services, one being PPPOE underneath, and the
other being delivered as raw ethernet.  However, the latter requires Bell
to manually configure a route through their ATM[0] backbone and costs a
lot more.  The financial incentives indicate that DSL will mean PPPOE,
unless you're willing to pay extra not to have to deal with it.

[0] Asyncronous Transfer Mode, not cash machines, if anyone was wondering.

--
Anthony de Boer