high speed DSL connectivity

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 15 02:16:28 UTC 2003

On Saturday 13 September 2003 18:02, Max Blanco wrote:

> OK.  Let's see if I get this right: ISP is charging you $48/year to change
> ONE line of .conf ONCE.  That boggles the mind.  That is the promised land
> of infinite markup.  It is cheaper for the ISP to use static IP.

Not likely, although I suspect it makes little difference considering the
number of people that care whether their address is static.

Even with high speed, not 100% of customers are online 100% of the time,
dynamic IPs reduce the number of IPs required.  With a static IP they have to
guarantee a customer that IP which gives them one less for other customers.

> The customer has to go through all sorts of contortions and confusions to
> deal with dynamic IP.  DHCP is, if I'm not mistaken, a relic of a bygone
> dialup age.

No dhcp is a protocol for assigning IP addresses on ethernet networks (perhaps
others?), it is far from obsolete.  Never heard of it being used with dialup
but who knows.

In this neck of the woods, no matter what ISP you use, for DSL service I have
a suspicion that you'd end up using pppoe (whether for static or dynamic IP).
In other parts of the country/world dhcp is sometimes used for DSL IP
assignment.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux