Rogers as an ISP (was Re:[Fwd: Support Ticket ID 12745 Has Been Replied To])

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 11 01:33:37 UTC 2003

At 01:13 PM 10/09/2003, James Knott wrote:
>Kareem Shehata wrote:
>>Once upon a time, no-ip.com gave great personalized support.  Now it seems
>>they're trying as hard as they can to make me feel like a number.  Oh
>>well, I think it's time I find an ISP that will give me a static IP and
>>decent DNS capabilities, rather than dealing with this dynamic-ip kludge.
>>Any suggestions?
>
>FWIW, while Rogers uses DHCP, the host names are derived from your mac
>addresses and therefore static.  As long as you can do a DNS lookup, you
>don't have to worry about the IP address.  Also, the addresses are
>virtually static, changing only when there's a need for them to change.

I have Rogers both at home and at my office. At the office, it was the only
option for the longest time so it was not as if I had much choice. Lately,
Rogers has been annoying me. First, the performance lately has been spotty
at best. I see no reason why I should have miserable response even between
home and office. It is the *same* network. Second, there has been an
inexorable slide into mediocrity on the part of Rogers in Markham since
they took over the Shaw territory. Business accounts used to get 8 static
IPs and something on the order of 10Mb/s access all for around $100. When
Rogers took over, "in order to serve you better", they eliminated all
static IPs for their business accounts and capped both the up and down data
transfer rates to a fraction of what it was before, something like 1.5/256
but who knows since it is not listed anywhere now. Third, too many ISPs are
bouncing mail from my smtp server that I am running on my *office* Rogers
connection. I called Rogers to notify them since I am paying for a
"business" connection and expect business level service, e.g., the ability
to run my own smtp server. Their response was first to suggest that I use
their smtp server (no thanks) and second to tell me that they will contact
AOL, the ISP that was bouncing my mail, to have their sysadmin add my IP
address to their whitelist. I was skeptical that this would work and my
skepticism was well founded because six weeks and several phone calls to
Rogers "support" later, I still cannot send mail to any domain owned by AOL
and some other domains. I was told that Rogers would be introducing static
IPs "real soon", naturally for more money since it is soooo much more
complicated for them to manage static vs. dynamic IPs. I guess it is not
enough that they charge double the residential rate for no different
service and have to screw their business customers further. Anyway, I am in
the market and annoyed enough with Rogers that I might switch my mobile
phone and cable TV to other providers as well just to send the idiots a
message.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation