Mounting hard drive; Hello, where are you?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 02:21:44 UTC 2003

It is indeed FAT32 (My Win2k partition sees the part fine). I am running
Redhat 9.0 with the OS on various partions on /dev/hda. here is what I
get when I try to probe the drive:

[root at hannah proc]# fdisk /dev/hdc

Unable to open /dev/hdc
[root at hannah proc]# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/backup
mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock
[root at hannah proc]# fdisk -l /dev/hdc
[root at hannah proc]#

Here is what's in /proc/ide:

[root at hannah /]# cd proc/ide/
[root at hannah ide]# ls -lah
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x    4 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:15 .
dr-xr-xr-x   94 root     root            0 Oct 27 15:45 ..
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:15 drivers
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 27 21:15 hda -> ide0/hda
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 27 21:15 hdb -> ide0/hdb
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 27 21:15 hdc -> ide1/hdc
dr-xr-xr-x    4 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:15 ide0
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:15 ide1
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:15 via
[root at hannah ide]# cd hdc
[root at hannah hdc]# ls -lah
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 .
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 ..
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 capacity
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 driver
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 identify
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 media
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 model
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct 27 21:16 settings
[root at hannah hdc]#

[root at hannah hdc]# cat capacity
2147483647
[root at hannah hdc]# cat driver
ide-default version 0.9.newide
[root at hannah hdc]# cat identify
045a 3fff c837 0010 0000 0000 003f 0000
0000 0000 2020 2020 2020 2020 2039 5a50
395a 5a57 3538 3437 0003 0300 0004 4a53
324f 4142 3841 4942 4d2d 444a 5341 2d32
3130 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 8010
0000 0f00 4000 0200 0200 0007 3fff 0010
003f fc10 00fb 0110 b230 012b 0000 0007
0003 0078 0078 00f0 0078 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
003c 0015 746b 41a8 4000 f469 0008 4000
101f 0008 0000 4080 fffe 600b 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0001 000b 0000 0002 0000 0000 0000 0000
41fc 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 20a5
[root at hannah hdc]# cat media
disk
[root at hannah hdc]# cat model
IBM-DJSA-210
[root at hannah hdc]# cat settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
current_speed           68              0               70              rw
init_speed              12              0               70              rw
io_32bit                1               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
nice1                   0               0               1               rw
number                  2               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
unmaskirq               1               0               1               rw
using_dma               1               0               1               rw
[root at hannah hdc]#

Anything stand out? Obviously the drive IS there! Thanks for the help!

Madison