Mounting hard drive; Hello, where are you?

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 05:22:30 UTC 2003

> Hi all,
>
>    I am trying to do something very simple but it is being anything
> but... I have a laptop hard drive here that I am trying to image before
> I erase. Simple enough; I connect it as Master on the secondary channel,
> boot, '# mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /mnt/backup'... nothing. Try '#fdisk
> -l', nothing. I know that hardware-wise it's fine because I tried (uggh)
> booting my Win2k part and there it is seen fine. Also, on boot the BIOS
> sees it (not that it matters to Linux) and on powerdown it reports to
> flush HDC...

It's a laptop drive... does it have 40 pins or 36? If 36, would the loss
of those 4 pins explain the problems you're seeing?

>    So, does anyone have any idea why a seemingly fine connected FAT32
> hard drive (10GB) would not be seen by Linux's FDISK but it WOULD be
> found by Win2k? Isn't that pretty bass-ackwards? Any help is appreciated!

Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk to see if the M$ partition shows
as a DOS or Non-DOS partition. From the other posts you said it's a Dell
machine, and if so was Win2k factory installed? I'm thinking Dell may have
added a touch of their own magic by loading a hidden partition for all
their proprietary crap.

Another thing is that with Win2k the permissions might prevent you from
seeeing the contents of the drive (? but would it prevent you from seeing
the drive?). Try
mount -t vfat -uid=0 -gid=0 umask=022 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/backup
... see if that helps

--
Keith