Mounting hard drive; Hello, where are you?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 03:10:51 UTC 2003

On Monday 27 October 2003 20:54, Madison Kelly wrote:

>    I am trying to do something very simple but it is being anything
> but... I have a laptop hard drive here that I am trying to image before
> I erase. Simple enough; I connect it as Master on the secondary channel,
> boot, '# mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /mnt/backup'... nothing. Try '#fdisk
> -l', nothing. I know that hardware-wise it's fine because I tried (uggh)
> booting my Win2k part and there it is seen fine. Also, on boot the BIOS
> sees it (not that it matters to Linux) and on powerdown it reports to
> flush HDC...

What do you mean when you say "nothing" ;-)  Is there an error message, what
is the exit status of the mount command?

Could it be ntfs and not vfat?  Is the drive showing up correctly in the BIOS?
How are you trying to access the drive .. TomsRB, knoppix, Linux (which
distro) installed on hda?  What devices show up in /proc/ide/ ?

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux