Some funny MS Propaganda

Michael mjc106-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 18:43:28 UTC 2003

> I can't find ANYTHING that indicates IOS runs on QNX, and I
> actually
> find it hard to believe, since I don't think QNX generally runs on
> non
> x86 hardware, and I don't think Cisco uses x86 hardware.  I have
> only so
> far found a reference mentioning Cisco was considering putting a
> real
> time OS into IOS, but that they hadn't done so yet (as of 2002 it
> would
> appear).  I suppose QNX would have added more types of hardware by
> now
> though.

No, Cisco uses QNX to run actual routing algorithms, don't believe me
if you want, frankly I don't give a damn.

I have friends who work at Cisco and actually had to write code for
the routers, their big complaint was that QNX does not have dynamic
memory allocation mechanisms. (You can not do dynamic memory in hard
real time, which is why RT threads in Java are such a big joke.)

Maybe Cisco does not mention QNX because they don't want to confuse
people, maybe they want everyone to think they make routers, switches
and operating systems. I don't know. I just know how it works, not
why marketing departments think the way they do.

> Which may be why what I found indicates that Cisco is considering
> doing
> it, but it sure looked like they hadn't done so yet.  There does
> seem to
> be some talk of a QNX based IOS sometime this year, but it would be
> new things then.

No Cisco is not considering, they have been using QNX for years -
don't trust what you read on the Internet, actually find someone who
is implementing EIGRP or something at Cisco and ask what OS they are
coding for.

> > Where can I take a course as interesting and exciting as CS 452?
> (If
> > you really want to know the answer to that question you probably
> > ought to turn yourself in to the Queen Street mental health unit,
> > otherwise if you really want to know the answer go take CS 452 at
> > U(W).)
>
> Well at least it was still there last time I stopped by.

The course has been around since the mid 70's its not going anywhere
anytime soon.

Michael