Some funny MS Propaganda

Greg Franks rgfranks-cmaem7PIVQT44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 4 15:22:36 UTC 2003

    Fraser> Cisco definitely uses some x86 hardware.  PIX firewalls
    Fraser> are basically PCs, according to my docs (about 2 years old
    Fraser> I think) low end PIXes are Pentium200, high end PIX is
    Fraser> PIII-1000 ... they might now have more horsepower these
    Fraser> days but I expect they're still x86.

Open up some other boxes.  You'll find Power PC's in there.  i86's are
expensive parts, so if you want good margins (lol), use something
else.  (just look at what cisco charges for a 100baseT line card...)

IOS is not running on QNX (yet).  Some would claim that calling IOS an
OS is a bit of a stretch.

Juniper uses BSD, and I believe a muchly revised version of gated
(though don't quote me on that one!)

Using BSD for your control plane makes a lot of sense, IMO... you can
develop your code on a BSD box on your desk.  (The same applies with
QNX boxes, b.t.w.).  That's a lot easier than compiling and
downloading so some custom box elsewhere.

--
   __@               Greg Franks              <|       _~@ __O
 _`\<,_         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada        |O\   -^\<;^\<,