Some funny MS Propaganda

Michael mjc106-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 19:08:39 UTC 2003

> > I can't find ANYTHING that indicates IOS runs on QNX, and I
> > actually
> > find it hard to believe, since I don't think QNX generally runs
> on
> > non
> > x86 hardware, and I don't think Cisco uses x86 hardware.  I have
> > only so
> > far found a reference mentioning Cisco was considering putting a
> > real
> > time OS into IOS, but that they hadn't done so yet (as of 2002 it
> > would
> > appear).  I suppose QNX would have added more types of hardware
> by
> > now
> > though.
>
> No, Cisco uses QNX to run actual routing algorithms, don't believe
> me
> if you want, frankly I don't give a damn.

Sorry but I get pissed when people tell me I am wrong when I *know* I
m dead right (knowing I am dead on is uncommong, being told I am
wrong, thats another story). Anyway I did a little Google search, I
know don't trust anything you find on the Internet (I said that about
five minutes ago) but I don't have time to really do the research
properly.

Okay I type the following search string into Google:

QNX Cisco

and the very first link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/146/pressroom/1998/may98/16.html

Title: Cisco Systems Licenses QNX® Realtime Technology
Fault-Tolerant Microkernel Software can Boost Availability of
Data-Voice-Video Networks

This was from May of 98

There are a bunch of articles in a similar vain (many in German) but
like I said I don't have time now to make this into a monster
research project.

Anyway search the Cisco web site, search the QNX web site, you will
not find much. Ask a Cisco programmer, i.e. someone who works for
Cisco and writes code, not someone (like me) who uses IOS. They will
tell you the gory details.

And like I said in my first post on this subject, Cisco started as a
husband and wife time who sold little BSD boxes which were configured
as routers, they financed their project with credit cards and
moonlighted as consultants. So yes at one time Cisco did not use QNX,
they used BSD, and I suspect that modern routers do not use x86 but I
would not be surprised to learn that the earliest Cisco routers ran
on x86s.

Michael