Debian-newbie questions

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 4 18:36:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 02:15:53AM -0400, Ilya Palagin wrote

> By the way, you need to replace bf2.4, this kernel is for fail-safe
> installation only :-)
>
> Now install a real one:
> $apt-cache search kernel-image
> then choose the one which conforms you CPU and apt-get it.

  Done... although I did find out why it was a good thing that I made a
boot floppy<g>.  The instructions gave the wrong naming format for the
initrd image, resulting in a kernel panic when it couldn't be found.  I
booted from the rescue floppy and listed off the /boot directory.  There
I found initrd.img-2.4.18-686 rather than initrd-2.4.18-686.img.  I made
the appropriate change to lilo.conf and got back to booting.  My
remaining issues are...

  1) The ftp server xanim.va.pubnix.com ia refusing connections (I've
confirmed this manually).  To install some xanime codecs, dselect wants
to connect to ftp://xanim.va.pubnix.com/dlls/ and download the files...

vid_cvid_2.1_linuxELFx86c6.tgz
vid_cyuv_1.0_linuxELFx86c6.tgz
vid_h261_1.0_linuxELFx86c6.tgz
vid_h263_1.1_linuxELFx86c6.tgz
vid_iv32_2.1_linuxELFx86c6.tgz
vid_iv41_1.1_linuxELFx86c6.tgz
vid_iv50_1.0_linuxELFx86c6.tgz

Does anybody know of alternate sources?

  2) My 433 and 450 mhz machines are underpowered for GNOME/KDE.  What
I've done with Redhat was to install GNOME+KDE, but switch to FVWM for a
window manager.  It runs the GNOME+KDE *APPLICATIONS* just fine, without
the overhead of a GNOME/KDE *DESKTOP*.  I've got two questions here...
  a) I've somehow ended up logging into X on bootup.  KDE base *DEMANDS*
gdm, so my question is how do I turn off gdm without removing it
altogether.  I've tried using update-rc.d, but I've gotten nowhere.  I
suppose I could manually remove /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm or rename it to K99gdm.
But will that foul up anything else ?
  b) I've installed FVWM.  I can't find switchdesk, which does the
config setup to switch from GNOME to KDE or FVWM or whatever.  How do I
do this in Debian.

  3) What is the Debian equivalant to /etc/rc.local

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did