Debian-newbie questions

Ilya Palagin IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 06:15:53 UTC 2003

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
>>Try to execute the following:
>>dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>

>   And it complained that xserver-xfree86 wasn't completely installed.
> So I did "apt-get install xserver-xfree86" and it runs now.  Just one
> more problem (sigh).  It come up with...
>
> Error while initializing the sound driver.
> device /dev/disp can't be opened (Permission denied)
Add yourself to the group 'audio' and re-logon.

>   Looking at my /dev directory, I see that /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1,
> /dev/dsp2, and /dev/dsp3 exist, all with permissions crw-rw----
>
>   BTW, I installed the bf2.4 version of Debian, selecting ReiserFS and
> devfs, if tha makes any difference.

By the way, you need to replace bf2.4, this kernel is for fail-safe
installation only :-)

Now install a real one:
$apt-cache search kernel-image
then choose the one which conforms you CPU and apt-get it.

Let me know if you need to configure ISDN with Debian :-)
Solving this task, I had to look through German mailing lists, despite I
couldn't understand a word except for config parameters :-)