Debian-newbie questions

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 4 19:45:23 UTC 2003

I don't know the answer to your first question, but I may be able to
help you with the rest.

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:

>  2) My 433 and 450 mhz machines are underpowered for GNOME/KDE.  What
>I've done with Redhat was to install GNOME+KDE, but switch to FVWM for a
>window manager.  It runs the GNOME+KDE *APPLICATIONS* just fine, without
>the overhead of a GNOME/KDE *DESKTOP*.  I've got two questions here...
>  a) I've somehow ended up logging into X on bootup.  KDE base *DEMANDS*
>gdm, so my question is how do I turn off gdm without removing it
>altogether.  I've tried using update-rc.d, but I've gotten nowhere.  I
>suppose I could manually remove /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm or rename it to K99gdm.
>But will that foul up anything else ?

Look in /etc/inittab and see which run level starts gdm.  Then change
the default runlevel near the top
of the file to 3 (I think.  I could also be 2).

>  b) I've installed FVWM.  I can't find switchdesk, which does the
>config setup to switch from GNOME to KDE or FVWM or whatever.  How do I
>do this in Debian.

I am not sure about Debian.  In Redhat you edit the .XClients (or
.xclients).  Also try one of the
.xinitrc files.

>  3) What is the Debian equivalant to /etc/rc.local

/etc/rc.d/rc.local should be the standard location on most SysV style
systems.

Hope I helped.  Someone with Debian experience please correct me if I am
wrong.

--

Anton Markov