Debian-newbie questions

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 3 05:48:53 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:38:59AM -0400, Ilya Palagin wrote
> waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >  Hopefully I'll outgrow this status in few weeks.  Questions...
> >
> >1) Help... No X-Windowing!  The startx command gets a response...
> >/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: no such file or
> >directory
> >The config file is there, but no X.
> Try to execute the following:
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

  And it complained that xserver-xfree86 wasn't completely installed.
So I did "apt-get install xserver-xfree86" and it runs now.  Just one
more problem (sigh).  It come up with...

Error while initializing the sound driver.
device /dev/disp can't be opened (Permission denied)

  Looking at my /dev directory, I see that /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1,
/dev/dsp2, and /dev/dsp3 exist, all with permissions crw-rw----

  BTW, I installed the bf2.4 version of Debian, selecting ReiserFS and
devfs, if tha makes any difference.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did