Debian Updates

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 10:32:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:13:29 -0500 (EST)
"Keith Mastin" <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> He doesn't need to have a weak password if he's ending it in plaintext
> over a network connection. Even telnet has the sense not to allow rtoot
> access in plain text.

Webmin is https, not plain text. And again, unless port 10000 was open on the
firewall, Webmin won't even exist to the outside world. It's meant primarily to
be a local interface anyway, from what I've seen. If someone's sniffing his
internal network, he's already owned.

> man crontab and such will teach him infinately more about linux, his
> machine and using cron than webmin ever will. Not only tht, but webmin and
> linuxconf and such only give a small portion of the range of possibilities
> that a lot of the programs can actually do. You are limiting your
> understanding of the OS. Not saying don't do it, just consider the
> possibilities.

I don't see that. While cron-apt is certainly a more appropriate sol'n, as
Fraser suggested, I don't see how crontab will open up more possibilities. You
set a time/date, and a command to run. Just in Webmin you don't have to wrap
your noggin around what all those stars mean, where to put them, etc. I'd rather
spend my time learning BIND or Virtual Hosts. Now *that* is where you should get
your hands dirty ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046