Debian Updates

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 18:38:23 UTC 2003

<snip>
> I don't see that. While cron-apt is certainly a more appropriate sol'n,
> as Fraser suggested, I don't see how crontab will open up more
> possibilities. You set a time/date, and a command to run. Just in
> Webmin you don't have to wrap your noggin around what all those stars
> mean, where to put them, etc. I'd rather spend my time learning BIND
> or Virtual Hosts. Now *that* is where you should get your hands dirty ;-)

Until webmin doesn't work, then you're screwed. Every one of those little
stars means something, and having one missing could lead to alot of
confusion.

But let's not limit the discussion to cron, guis can be used to 'kind of'
configure a lot of other programs, including bind9 and apache, no? So why
do you need to learn anything about virtual hosts or really much of
anything else if you have a gui that can do it for you?

I prefer be able to dial into the server while on vacation in Hawaii and
reconfigure as needed. IMHO anything else is a cheat if you have the
capabilities but refuse to learn how to use them.

--
Keith