Debian Updates

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 01:13:29 UTC 2003

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:11:26 -0500
> Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Wild, install a large piece of software that provides network access
>> to the root account ... as opposed to typing the command "crontab -e".
>>To each their own!
>
> Well, unless he opens port 10000 on his firewall and makes the root
> password "blinky", I think he'd be okay ;-) I assumed (mistake, prolly)
> that sending him off on a hunt for a crontab how-to would be cruel. You
> gotta admit, crontab can be a beotch for newbs...got the sense Mark
> might be almost as newbish as m'self.

He doesn't need to have a weak password if he's ending it in plaintext
over a network connection. Even telnet has the sense not to allow rtoot
access in plain text.

man crontab and such will teach him infinately more about linux, his
machine and using cron than webmin ever will. Not only tht, but webmin and
linuxconf and such only give a small portion of the range of possibilities
that a lot of the programs can actually do. You are limiting your
understanding of the OS. Not saying don't do it, just consider the
possibilities.

--
Keith