Mail and Web Server behind a firewall

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 02:42:22 UTC 2003

On November 24, 2003 07:39 pm, Kareem Shehata wrote:

> example), but the rest of the world sees it as 66.11.182.61.  How to
> configure BIND to serve the domain properly to the outside world, while
> keeping Apache and Qmail from screaming?

Bind 9 has something called (IIRC) "views".  I've never used it but I believe
it let's you serve a different IP address depending on who is asking.  If a
computer on the 192.168.1 network asks it will get a 192.168.1 answer,
otherwise it will hand out the 66.11.182.61 address.

Alternatively you could run two DNS servers (could be on the same machine).
To run that on the same machine just have the second instance of bind listen
on a second IP on the box.  That second instance could contain your private
addresses and would be used by the box itself for resolving.