Mail and Web Server behind a firewall

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 15:11:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:54:23PM -0500, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> The problem isn't internal machines finding the server, it's the
> services on the server becoming concerned.  I use name-based virtual
> servers in Apache, which will scream if the DNS entry for the virtual
> server name doesn't match the IP of the interface.  Not sure about
> qmail, but I have a feeling it won't like it much either.

In my experience as long as apache is configured with the internal IP
for virtual serving it doesn't care what the real ip of any of the
server names it serves are set to.  I have never seen it complain about
it.

> Surely someone else on the list has run into a similar problem, and
> hopefully come up with an elegant solution?

You just do it.  Apache does not complain about virtual server name/ip
resolution.  Well at least not here they don't.

ie:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.8.15

<VirtualHost 192.168.8.15>
        ServerAdmin info-CsKiSt0GBdG+XT7JhA+gdA at public.gmane.org
        ServerName www.someserver.com
        ServerAlias someserver.com someserver.net www.someserver.net
        DocumentRoot /home/www/virtual/someserver
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache/someserver-error_log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache/someserver-access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

Works just fine here.

Lennart Sorensen