Mail and Web Server behind a firewall

Wil McGilvery wmcgilvery-6d3DWWOeJtE at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 04:44:36 UTC 2003

So that makes this even easier.

You can set up the order of resolving names to being the host file first and DNS second.

In you DNS you have a zone for which contains the external IP address. Everyone see that who queries your DNS. In you host file, you put the local ip addresses.

You server will check the host file and stop because it found the local ip addresses and is happy. The rest of the world will query the DNS and find the external ip address and they will be happy.

I have used this setup before and it works very well.

Or

You can run 2 instances of Bind. I have never used the bind views mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager
Lynch Digital Media Inc