Debian Updates

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 23 05:11:26 UTC 2003

On November 22, 2003 04:32 pm, JoeHill wrote:

> > I just installed Debian on my computer and I am wondering what I need to
> > do to get Linux to download all updates automatically.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest how to do this.
>
> best bet is to use Webmin to set up a cron job. Webmin is usually installed
> as part of any distro, but if not, you know, apt-get install webmin.

Wild, install a large piece of software that provides network access to the
root account ... as opposed to typing the command "crontab -e".  To each
their own!

As I've already suggested installing cron-apt is all you need to do ... out of
the box that will download all available updates nightly.

If you meant that you want to do it manually then it would be like this:

    apt-get update
    apt-get -dy dist-upgrade