Apple Color Plus 14" + XFree86 help needed

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 05:20:16 UTC 2003

Hi Lennart,

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:28:52PM -0500, Max Blanco wrote:
>
> Well perhaps the mode you want is the one called 640x480-etNlbFTGNQQ at public.gmane.org
>
> Vertical sync of 66-67 hz and horizontal of 34-36khz.

Yes, I think that's the one but...  (BTW my config file is set for 35, but
it won't let me add "kHz" or "Hz"??)

> Perhaps setting your 'Modes' to "640x480-etNlbFTGNQQ at public.gmane.org" will make it work.  I
> think most video cards have that as a default mode in XFree86.

The default modes my card goes through do not have any "@67Hz", they just
have "HHHxVVV".  It does go through 4 (different?) "640x480" modes (I
can't tell from the log file), but they all "hsync out of range", and
I can't figure that out: surely the card is able to hsync that low.

> As long as you tell it the range for vertical and horizontal just big
> enough that it will catch the mode you are asking for, it should work.

I don't know the syntax of XF86Config files at all well.
Do I put that "Modes" into my "Screen" section, or my "Monitor" section,
or do I have to put a UseModes "Custom Modes" + Section "Modes" into my
file?

I'm so close I can almost taste this...

TIA,
max.