Apple Color Plus 14" + XFree86 help needed

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 19:21:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:20:16AM -0500, Max Blanco wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:28:52PM -0500, Max Blanco wrote:
> >
> > Well perhaps the mode you want is the one called 640x480-etNlbFTGNQQ at public.gmane.org
> >
> > Vertical sync of 66-67 hz and horizontal of 34-36khz.
>
> Yes, I think that's the one but...  (BTW my config file is set for 35, but
> it won't let me add "kHz" or "Hz"??)

You don't have to.  HorizontalSync is in khz and VertRefresh is in Hz.
Just put the numbers you want.

> > Perhaps setting your 'Modes' to "640x480-etNlbFTGNQQ at public.gmane.org" will make it work.  I
> > think most video cards have that as a default mode in XFree86.
>
> The default modes my card goes through do not have any "@67Hz", they just
> have "HHHxVVV".  It does go through 4 (different?) "640x480" modes (I
> can't tell from the log file), but they all "hsync out of range", and
> I can't figure that out: surely the card is able to hsync that low.

Hmm, I have seen logs from some nvidia cards and some i810 boards that
had a 640x480-etNlbFTGNQQ at public.gmane.org listed.  I have not managed to find an actual
modeline for that mode though, although if you use a modeline calculator
(some are online) you should be able to generate one with the right info
I suppose.

> > As long as you tell it the range for vertical and horizontal just big
> > enough that it will catch the mode you are asking for, it should work.
>
> I don't know the syntax of XF86Config files at all well.
> Do I put that "Modes" into my "Screen" section, or my "Monitor" section,
> or do I have to put a UseModes "Custom Modes" + Section "Modes" into my
> file?

I think it is in the screen section.  It should already have a line that
says Modes.  It should only list 640x480 on your setup if done right.

Lennart Sorensen