linux = impossible? (no offense meant!)

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 16:50:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:48:12PM -0500, Byron Desnoyers Winmill wrote:
> If you are using HFS+, <filename> is the data fork and <filename>/rsrc
> is the resource fork.  With a little creativity, you can backup HFS
> partitions with tar and friends.

Oh my...that is neat.  It feels ever so slightly like the VFAT hackery
that went on with Win9x.  Looks like it should work like a charm, though.

> > It worked fine for me(*).  Closing the lid even made the pb go to sleep
> > without a hitch.  :)
>
> I have an Nvidia chip, so getting X11 to work properly required compiling
> XFree86 from the latest sources.  (So how do I manage dependencies in
> Debian now?  A lot of stuff depends upon XFree86, and forcing packages
> to install with dpkg is a pain.)

Ouch.  I'm quite happy with my Radeon 7500 Mobility.  I've heard that even
the OSX drivers for NVidia are inferior to the ATI ones, simply due to
Apple's long history of using ATI video cards.

> It also lookes like the Nvidia chip hoses sleep mode, since it may not be
> able to wake up again.

Stinx.

> > Because the users of Macintosh labs like their Macintoshes.
>
> Of course those applications assume that you have the Quartz server up and
> running.  Darwin has very few benefits over Linux.

OSX also provides all of the Foundation libraries, and all the other nice
doodads and dohickies useful when coding Cocoa apps in Objective-C (well,
and all of Cocoa and Carbon).  Quartz is just the compositor, really (and
a really nice one at that).

> I would call Aqua a great piece of industrial design (ie. it looks great).
> I cringe at calling it art.

Industrial design is art.  Someone put creative juices into the process
of creating a useable _thing_ (chair, monitor, window manager).

> > I tried burning a CD with some random Roxio CD burning utility
>
> Is there something wrong with Mac OS X's CD burning tools?

Oh, no, I mean on a Windoze box at work.  Toast does provide a nice
interface when one wants to burn other than a plain ISO (mkisofs)
or Apple-only DMG (Disk Copy Utility).

--
taa
/*eof*/