linux = impossible? (no offense meant!)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 20:25:10 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:48:12PM -0500, Byron Desnoyers Winmill wrote:
> I have an Nvidia chip, so getting X11 to work properly required compiling
> XFree86 from the latest sources.  (So how do I manage dependencies in
> Debian now?  A lot of stuff depends upon XFree86, and forcing packages
> to install with dpkg is a pain.)

Use a backport of a newer X, or backport it yourself.

Or install your build in /usr/local and debian's in the normal place and
use the newer X server and the other stuff from Debian.  I have done
both and both are perfectly functional.  I prefer having a newer X
compiled properly for Debian.

> It also lookes like the Nvidia chip hoses sleep mode, since it may not be
> able to wake up again.

Power management is unfortunately not very mature on Linux, probably
since most developers don't use Laptops, or so I imagine. :)

Lennart Sorensen