linux = impossible? (no offense meant!)

Byron Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 03:48:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:30:29PM -0500, Taavi Burns wrote:
> Though the resource forks are still used; copying a .app to a *NIX box
> with FTP and then back renders the .app useless.

If you are using HFS+, <filename> is the data fork and <filename>/rsrc
is the resource fork.  With a little creativity, you can backup HFS
partitions with tar and friends.

> It worked fine for me(*).  Closing the lid even made the pb go to sleep
> without a hitch.  :)

I have an Nvidia chip, so getting X11 to work properly required compiling
XFree86 from the latest sources.  (So how do I manage dependencies in
Debian now?  A lot of stuff depends upon XFree86, and forcing packages
to install with dpkg is a pain.)

It also lookes like the Nvidia chip hoses sleep mode, since it may not be
able to wake up again.

> Because the users of Macintosh labs like their Macintoshes.

Of course those applications assume that you have the Quartz server up and
running.  Darwin has very few benefits over Linux.

> Apple seems to have managed to do both good science and art, and have
> the technology to back it up.

I would call Aqua a great piece of industrial design (ie. it looks great).
I cringe at calling it art.

> I tried burning a CD with some random Roxio CD burning utility

Is there something wrong with Mac OS X's CD burning tools?

Byron.