Fedora Linux

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 03:17:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 21:53, David J Patrick wrote:
> >>If linux contunues to standardize, which it must to survive,
> >>I can only imagine that GUI tools could be developed to compliment the
> >>existing morass of
> >>text file based configuration. power users can carry on unhindered, by
> >>GUI and those
> >>with less expertise will have a shot at keeping their boxes working. No
> >>conflict, right ?
> >>in the mean time it's man this and man that with a healthy dose of TLUG
> >>wtf ???
> >>

> >Sadly it's not that simple.  Every distribution does configuration files
> >just a bit different.  Sometimes it's a different directory, sometimes
> >its completely different formats.  Beyond that there is a plethora of
> >different file formats.  Talk about reinventing the wheel, every app out
> >there has its own grammar and syntax for their config files, plus these
> >formats routinely change between revisions.  Even system level
> >configuration, like network devices, which often use simple bash scripts
> >for config files (in order to set environment vars and whatnot)
> >frequently change which vars mean what between distro versions (minor or
> >major revisions).
> >

> What about a debian specific solution? Doesn't "being debian" mean that
> many elements of the configuration are standardized and, therefore
> predictable ?
> Could a Control Centre style app not be modularized and implement only
> those things that prove consistent ? I may be mildly daft, but I find it
> hard to
> believe that the DebianControlCentre is an impossibility.
>     just curious,

Oh, absolutely.  And in fact that's the only way things like that get
implemented.  The issue is that everyone has to do their own because
standardization at a lower level is seen as too hard, too much work or
who knows.

--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>