Fedora Linux

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 02:53:28 UTC 2003

>>If linux contunues to standardize, which it must to survive,
>>I can only imagine that GUI tools could be developed to compliment the
>>existing morass of
>>text file based configuration. power users can carry on unhindered, by
>>GUI and those
>>with less expertise will have a shot at keeping their boxes working. No
>>conflict, right ?
>>in the mean time it's man this and man that with a healthy dose of TLUG
>>wtf ???
>>

>Sadly it's not that simple.  Every distribution does configuration files
>just a bit different.  Sometimes it's a different directory, sometimes
>its completely different formats.  Beyond that there is a plethora of
>different file formats.  Talk about reinventing the wheel, every app out
>there has its own grammar and syntax for their config files, plus these
>formats routinely change between revisions.  Even system level
>configuration, like network devices, which often use simple bash scripts
>for config files (in order to set environment vars and whatnot)
>frequently change which vars mean what between distro versions (minor or
>major revisions).

What about a debian specific solution? Doesn't "being debian" mean that
many elements of the configuration are standardized and, therefore
predictable ?
Could a Control Centre style app not be modularized and implement only
those things that prove consistent ? I may be mildly daft, but I find it
hard to
believe that the DebianControlCentre is an impossibility.
    just curious,
djp