System configuration

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 02:45:33 UTC 2003

> I though linuxconf was the bees knees! Where d'it go ?

The plans were vastly more ambitious than the outcome, and the project
crumbled under the complexity.

The complexity of building extension modules was such that only the most
devoted of developers were prepared to put the effort into building
them.

Interest in Linuxconf collapsed shortly thereafter, alongside the
failure of similar ambitions in Caldera's COAS system.

The tools that are of ongoing relevance are:

 a) Webmin, which has an easier system for integrating in modules
    written in Perl, instead of in C++, and

 b) cfengine, which has no GUI, but which is instead a powerful language
    for describing your intended system configuration, and "fixes"
    discrepancies.
--
output = ("aa454" "@" "freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/unix.html