Signing email

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 00:17:31 UTC 2003

lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I think I did not make clear the point.  If one chooses to include
> digitial sig and it is on my list of things to do, it is important to use
> it consistently throughout.  Otherwise, when it is used it acts as a
> target for "sniffers".

I thought you made it succinctly b4.
I don't agree with using a digital signature, when there is no purpose for it.
If you're worried about "sniffing", and you're not a spook, or playing with
country and/or company trade secrets, or the 'crown jewels'. What are you
worried about? Identity theft? Please... Most Geeks don't use it out of
necessity, just as a novelty.

>>The point was that Emir, doesn't seem to think urls to news  about Linux,
>>being relevant here, I say it's more relevant, than the need for  folks
>>to digitally sign their e-mail messages on a public list.
>
> But how can that be the point?!  Emir, nor have I noticed anyone else,
> suggesting that everyone should be signing their emails.  The real result
> is you may have distracted people from any point that you did have.

The point was simply, that people in glass houses shouldn't cast stones, (and
yes I guess I'm guilty of it to, having initiated the response). I don't really
care about encrypted/signed e-mail, one way or the other. To some, reading
e-mail with the annoying gpg/pgp block before the beginning, is as annoying (to
at least one individual), as people posting urls to news items. Especially when
the  former is gratuitous on an e-mail list as this.

BTW, I don't think you mentioned if you mind news url's posted here or not...?

--
Best Regards,

Steve