Signing email

lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 23:20:29 UTC 2003

>>>Pray tell what are they on a public e-mail list? Do we really need to
>>> have it  verified, you are whom you say you are? I guess there are
>>> folks waiting in the  wings, just licking their chops at the
>>> opportunity, to spoof a from, with your  nick on it, to our little
>>> corner of the world. :o)
>>

>> Doing a tiny bit of reseach on this topic, one position -- not the
>> only one -- is that the only way that encrypted/signed emails are
>> affective if many people use them, regardless of why and where.
>>
>> It is common on many techie "public email lists".
>>
>> What is your concern with it Steve?
>
> Not really any concern, and yes, I know it's used on some technie lists,
> however  it's only needed to verify a person's authenticity. I don't
> think we need to  concern ourselves with using digitial signatures in an
> open forum, it's somewhat  redundant here.
I think I did not make clear the point.  If one chooses to include
digitial sig and it is on my list of things to do, it is important to use
it consistently throughout.  Otherwise, when it is used it acts as a
target for "sniffers".

> The point was that Emir, doesn't seem to think urls to news  about Linux,
> being relevant here, I say it's more relevant, than the need for  folks
> to digitally sign their e-mail messages on a public list.
But how can that be the point?!  Emir, nor have I noticed anyone else,
suggesting that everyone should be signing their emails.  The real result
is you may have distracted people from any point that you did have.

Cheers,
Lloyd