Signing email

lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 01:36:04 UTC 2003

> I don't agree with using a digital signature, when there is no purpose
> for it.  If you're worried about "sniffing", and you're not a spook, or
> playing with  country and/or company trade secrets, or the 'crown
> jewels'. What are you  worried about? Identity theft? Please... Most
> Geeks don't use it out of  necessity, just as a novelty.
Regardless of the reasoning, it is suggested that it is not effective if
one does not use it consistently.  It is also suggested that the more
people that use it everyday, the more effective it is.  Privacy technology
being common is good for everyone.

Identify theft is a very real concern today.  Signing ones email is a very
small part of a solution.  Identity theft is something to be considerate
of!  Do any research on the subject and you will find that it is having a
significant negative impact on many people, and the systems (read
governments) are failing to protect these people.

> To some, reading  e-mail with the annoying gpg/pgp block before the
> beginning, is as annoying (to  at least one individual),
It sounds like those individuals need a new email reader because, as you
pointed out Steve, signed emails are not uncommon on public mailing lists.

> BTW, I don't think you mentioned if you mind news url's posted here or
> not...?
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/2888

Cheers,
Lloyd