Signing email

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 21:54:32 UTC 2003

lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
>>>Is it really necessary to explain the benefits of encrypted/signed
>>>e-mail?
>>
>>Pray tell what are they on a public e-mail list? Do we really need to
>>have it  verified, you are whom you say you are? I guess there are folks
>>waiting in the  wings, just licking their chops at the opportunity, to
>>spoof a from, with your  nick on it, to our little corner of the world.
>>:o)
>

> Doing a tiny bit of reseach on this topic, one position -- not the only
> one -- is that the only way that encrypted/signed emails are affective if
> many people use them, regardless of why and where.
>
> It is common on many techie "public email lists".
>
> What is your concern with it Steve?

Not really any concern, and yes, I know it's used on some technie lists, however
it's only needed to verify a person's authenticity. I don't think we need to
concern ourselves with using digitial signatures in an open forum, it's somewhat
redundant here. The point was that Emir, doesn't seem to think urls to news
about Linux, being relevant here, I say it's more relevant, than the need for
folks to digitally sign their e-mail messages on a public list.

--
Best Regards,

Steve