debian reinstall - AVERTED ! for now..

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 18:08:27 UTC 2003

MAN that was close !
    As a last ditch I opened a dozen terminals and pored over "man
module" anything.
then I went looking for weird files.
     In /etc/modutils I found a file "alsa" that listed
/lib/modules/extra/ - A NON EXISTANT DIRECTORY that is listed in scores
of recent error messages. I also found "alsa-knoppix-09" that (if I
removed knx-alsa) should not exist.
    I bumped both files to /tmp/ and ran update-modules.
       Now, I'm not really sure what I'm doing, and alsa is sooo broken,
but I happy to report that boot-linux was _not_ required to post this !
    ethernet card WORKING (helloo sympatico)
    serial port WORKING (yay palm sync)
    CDroms WORKING
    sound BUSTED (and yet, I'm happY )

OK,
    What system wide backup software would you recomend ? (considering
Hdup and mondo)
    Do you have any suggestions to massage my modules to molify my music
making modes ?

Thanks for all your suggestions,
djp