debian reinstall

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 17:29:02 UTC 2003

On November 4, 2003 06:04 am, David J Patrick wrote:

>     b) the least painfull route to a fresh debian instable reinstall
> let me know ! I'm going to start nuking stuff this evening.

That question depends so much on your knowledge of Linux + your hardware that
it's tough to answer.  I did an install a week ago of the testing
distribution using the new debian-installer.  It was buggy and you need to be
somewhat knowledgeable but it got the job done and was reasonably fast.  The
debian-installer builds break from day-to-day so you may not be able to find
a working installer.

My usual method for installing Debian is to use a net-install CD (about 180MB
I think), that's plenty to install a basic system and from there I apt-get
everything I need (whether, or not, I am upgrading to unstable afterwards).
The net-install CD uses the regular Debian installer though.

Bonzai I haven't tried.  It seems to be the same idea as minideb that was
created at the Clue Linux Centre a few years ago ... a small, configured,
almost self-installing Debian.  It should be fairly easy to install Bonzai
and then upgrade it to unstable ... I've never tried it, if you do please
submit an install report here ;-)