debian reinstall

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 17:21:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:04:47 +0100
David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> that leftovers from the previous install (/home/djp/.whatever
> files) can screw things up nicely.
>     So,
> If you have any other suggestions for me regarding
>     a) how to fix my modules problem (see previous posts)
>        or
>     b) the least painfull route to a fresh debian instable reinstall
> let me know ! I'm going to start nuking stuff this evening.
>     thanks,

AFAIK, only user related stuff is going to be stored in ~/. files, like
application prefs, mail, stuff like that. Any system or global configs
are stored elsewhere, such as package management info, shared object
databases,  (particularly the /etc and /usr dirs) etc.

So I would say it's safe to leave the /home partition alone and install
a new system in a fresh / partition. This is how I've always gone about
it and never encountered any probs.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046