debian reinstall

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 11:04:47 UTC 2003

    Since I have been unable to repair my botched debian
unstable/testing system
(see recent "apt-get problem" and "SOS; apt-get dist-updrade mashes
modules" threads) I am facing (yet another) OS reinstall.
    It's kind of annoying, as I have spent a lot of time adding to, and
tweaking, this last install. I guess it's a symptom of the complexity of
the OS and/or the simplicity of the sysadmin (me) that when things go
really wrong I have no choice but /start again/.
    This time I won't use knoppix as my debian starter; I looking at
Bonzai-2.1. It's a Woody installer, but I hope it will be easy to get it
back up to Sid. The biggest hurdle is usually the migration of my
/home/djp/ directory. It's on a separate partition, but I have found, in
the past, that leftovers from the previous install (/home/djp/.whatever
files) can screw things up nicely.
    So,
If you have any other suggestions for me regarding
    a) how to fix my modules problem (see previous posts)
       or
    b) the least painfull route to a fresh debian instable reinstall
let me know ! I'm going to start nuking stuff this evening.
    thanks,
djp