IT Job creations... IT job losses?

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 22:58:40 UTC 2003

>   Upgrades can be put off, unless you want to run an app the *DEMANDS*

Not if you're running servers for commercial clients, you can't. As soon
as CERT issues the alarm, it's time to move, becaue there are a lot of
pretty knowledgeable script kiddies out there exploring *nix. Every
exploited linux system I've seen was lacking that one critical upgrade
that the sysadmin should have paid more attnetion to.

> that other software be upgraded.  With Windows, it's a boatload of
> *SECURITY FIXES* that *MUST* be applied *IMMEDIATELY* to protect your
> system from being compromised.  You do not have the luxury of waiting
> and watching mailing lists for reports from "pioneers" (i.e. the guys
> with the arrows in their backs).

I like the pioneer visual :)

M$ also has a stack of security fixes that are needed but not quite ready
yet. IMHO the only excuse they have is they're all idiots (my M$ flavored
brother-in-law included).

The point I was trying to make is that upgrades are always a critical
situation, never perfect, no matter what OS we run. I remember 'upgrading'
from bind8 to bind9, thinking a simple restart should do it... boy was I
wrong. All of a sudden none of the domains on the server could be found.
That wasn't an upgrade, it should have been completely uninstall, read the
docs and install as fresh, but good ole up2date faithfully destroyed the
dns connectivity for a while.

--
Keith