IT Job creations... IT job losses?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 13:49:06 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:48:12 -0500
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> uttered:

>   Upgrades can be put off, unless you want to run an app the *DEMANDS*
> that other software be upgraded.  With Windows, it's a boatload of
> *SECURITY FIXES* that *MUST* be applied *IMMEDIATELY* to protect your
> system from being compromised.  You do not have the luxury of waiting
> and watching mailing lists for reports from "pioneers" (i.e. the guys
> with the arrows in their backs).

Can I get an "Amen"! There's a huge difference, as this article on
Hackinthebox points out:

"frixion, who now holds down a steady and respectable job in public
sector IT, said that the sheer volume of patches that need applying in
order to close the vulnerabilities that are exposed in equally worrying
volumes are a headache for administrators. "Take your standard Windows
install for example, you need to apply dozens of patches as soon as you
install it to make it even half secure. I've just taken a look at the
content directory on our Microsoft Software Update Services server here
at work and there are over 600Mb of security updates, some critical.
Granted they're not all pertinent to a particular system, but it gives
you a good idea," he wrote in an e-mail.

I do a urpmi.update -a, urpmi --updates --auto-select every few days,
and it's rare that I find any critical security updates more than once a
month. Mostly minor bugfixes. Last major patches were Apache about a
month ago, and XFree about 3 months ago, IIRC.

And even the security updates for SSH or Apache cannot be compared to
the *trivial* exploits that must be patched every day on Windows. No
mere script kiddie is going to exploit SSH or Apache with some VB thang
he downloaded and let loose.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046