quiet PC

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 3 08:05:33 UTC 2003

Chris Aitken wrote:

> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: quiet PC
> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:39:00 -0500
> From: Peter Hiscocks <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org>
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>
> I sympathise, many PC's these days are unbearably noisy. I got one that was
> unacceptably noisy and simply took it back to OTA the next day and asked for
> a quieter fan. They obliged. That's the easiest and simplest solution.

Thanks, everybody. I was blown away by the volume of feedback I got from this
post.
I thought I should let you know how I resolved this - such as it is. Honson
would not
commit to installing an ultra-quiet fan. The clerk told me that "all fans make
some noise".
I told her that I'm sure that that is true but that I understand that some fans
are so quiet
that you can't hear them  ; )  She said she would have a tech call me - a tech
never did call
me.

So, I took the PC to Stan at Union Computers (Yonge, South of Eg). He was a
little more
bullish on quiet fans. So, as is my nature, I let him "pour honey down my ear"
(is that really
an expression, or did I make that up?).

So, for 80 bucks cash, I now have a PC that is definitely quiter (but not
near-noiseless), and
the noise it does make is at least uniform (not the organ grinder effect I had
before). So, it's
quieter (better fans) and its sound is uniform now, not pulsing and changing
(that's because
the fans are new).

The PCU fan/heatsink packaging was not saved, so the best information Stan
could give me was that it is
rated for a 1.5 GHz processor (whereas I only have an 800 MHz one).

The PSU fan specs are:

Dimension: 80X80X25
Air Flow: 32.5CFM
Speed: 2500 RPM