quiet PC

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 9 00:07:15 UTC 2003

I have a need for my PC to be quiet. This is for three reasons:

I have tintinitus several times a day, and when I don't the PC
reminds me what it's like - it's like tintinitus-on-demand.  : /

I am starting a business for which recording acoustic instruments
will play a large part.

My PC is exceptionally loud - so titinuitus or not, acoustic recording
or not, it's damned loud.

Has anyone had luck shutting their computer up? I have a lot of
start up expenses - weighted 88-key keyboard, clarinet, etc. so I'll go
to great  lengths to quiet this one before I'll buy a new one.

In the last home studio I had, I had the PC in a closet - but I'm tired
of positioning my recording/PC station to the lowest common
denominator (the short leash of mouse, keyboard, etc.) - it's
just silly.

I guess this is a rhetorical question: Is the fan the only thing that
makes
noise? I have three fans - CPU, chassis and removeable drive bay.

I suspected it was the removeable drive bay, so I replaced it with
another,
identical bay. No improvement - of course that doesn't prove that the
bay
is not the culprit - this brand might just have a noisy fan assembly.
And to
be completely honest, the unwanted sounds were different (but not less)
with the second bay than with the first.

So, I guess my next step is to remove the bay and just install the hard
drive
the old-fashioned way (?). If that doesn't help it must be one of the
other two
fans (?). Or chip creep? What else is there?

Also, I'll be in Toronto over Christmas and I could take the PC back to
Honson
- they built it for me. I hope they will work hard on it without soaking
me as they
built it.

Chris Aitken