now off topic: Formatting in C++ (fwd)

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 31 04:11:55 UTC 2003

> I think if you can grok Java, you can handle Objective C.  The object
> systems are the same.  Further, the same restrictions w.r.t. the types
> int and char apply.  The only real gotcha is that Objective C's syntax
> is a touch bizarre...
>
> [anObject elementsPerform:aMethod];
>
> ie, it looks more like smalltalk.

Objective C's syntax is a message passing style.  Which made me wonder...
many research studies have shown that high-throughput systems run better
when designed as asycnronous event systems.  Thread-based systems are very
hard to push at high-performance ranges.

But computer science curriculums mainly (only?) push the Thread model
when talking about concurrent execution.  I've met many people that have
a hard time working with asynch event systems, which is too bad.  It's
actually quite clean and simple once you get the gist of it.

I wonder what the software landscape would be like if curriculums started
with ObjectiveC instead of Java, and moved on to concurrent asynch events
instead of threads.