In the Dark with Midnight Commander

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 24 19:17:39 UTC 2003

Justin Zygmont <jzygmont-tEQKYFGiemxAYG7eUwYNkWD2FQJk+8+b at public.gmane.org> writes:

> i'm suprised that you are using an xterm to run mc in, myself being a dos
> user, I use the virtual consoles.  I use mc everyday, and i'd be at a
> major loss without it.  nc was a mystery to me when i first got it, at
> least we have searchable documentation these days on the internet.  I'm
> suprised more people don't use mc, it was a major hit when it came out for
> dos, and the linux one is free.  A quick google search will turn up lots
> of info on it.

nc was popular with DOS users because the DOS shell was pathetic and DOS
offered so few utilities. mc is probably a nice interface for DOS users
familiar with nc but doesn't offer much to anyone already comfortable with
Linux/UNIX shells.  Users with a Windows background, not (yet) comfortable
with the Linux/UNIX command line, are probably most comfortable with
graphical tools like Konqueror's file manager.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada