central mail

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 11 23:38:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> I've worked for quite a few ISPs and "leave mail on server" is basically a
> recipe for disaster on both client and server.

> The pop protocol is brain-dead simple so I've always assumed that the
> problems were on the Outlook side, you're probably right that it might
> be ok with a sane email client.

I trust your judgement and I appreciate very much that you are sharing
this with us. I have never used Outhouse (or allesschluck as I like to
call it - means swallow everything) with this combination.

> Still pop3 only offers a single folder (inbox), imap is a vastly better
> solution for someone wishing to share their email between multiple clients.
> You can have all of your email folders including Sent and Draft folders
> available in all clients (even web clients) by using imap, I've never heard
> of functionality close to that no-matter what ugly hacks people make with
> pop.

I didn't hack it it just happens to work for me ! ;-) You are right, imap
is more powerful, but many (many many many) people do not want/need imap's
features.

> P.S. postfix doesn't include a pop server.

You are right, I'm using pop3d from the pop/fetchmail package. I also have
imap etc but since it all works so well for me I never saw a reason to set
it up.

Peter