central mail

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 11 23:27:23 UTC 2003

On December 11, 2003 03:11 pm, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> > fwiw it works here between SO, Nestcape, pine and a windoze email client
> > (I forget which, I think Eudora) just perfectly. The server is local (on
> > my network).
>
> Oh, and Kmail, and TkMail and a couple of others. It's a question of
> having the right popper (pop3 server). I use the one tht comes with
> postfix.

I've worked for quite a few ISPs and "leave mail on server" is basically a
recipe for disaster on both client and server.

The pop protocol is brain-dead simple so I've always assumed that the problems
were on the Outlook side, you're probably right that it might be ok with a
sane email client.

Still pop3 only offers a single folder (inbox), imap is a vastly better
solution for someone wishing to share their email between multiple clients.
You can have all of your email folders including Sent and Draft folders
available in all clients (even web clients) by using imap, I've never heard
of functionality close to that no-matter what ugly hacks people make with
pop.

P.S. postfix doesn't include a pop server.