KDE/Mandrake 9.1

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 16:19:27 UTC 2003

Hello

Had a really weird experience yesterday. I have been running mandrake
9.1 with the stock kernel 2.4.21-013mdk, for perhaps  3 months.
I read an advisory which suggested that I upgraded the kernel to
2.4.21-026mdk, (all nicely packaged by the Drake folks), as a
preventative measure against some root exploits. I use KDE 3.1 as the
window manager, and since I've installed this kernel, KDE sometimes
doesn't come up when I login as a user (it just hangs), or it comes up
and crashes within 5 minutes. I have since been using IceWM as my backup
window manager. Now, I've kept the old kernel, so I have a choice of
kernels to boot from. When I try to run KDE using the old kernel, it
crashes too.

My question is, has anyone had a similar experience like this? I could
stick with IceWM for now or use another window manager like XFCE, but
I'm really curious about this.

Any ideas, folks ?

Clive

--